About Me

I am a sea person, a country person, a walk in the woods, stare at the stars person.... my soul dries up on pavement, my heart hurts when trees are cut, animals lose their places to live.



I have raised two fine kids, many cats; I am enriched by the art of my husband and the warmth of friends and family.



After years of slogging my way through school, I learned I could play with the thoughts that intrigued me and so got a masters in early childhood education and then environmental education... and found great joy in teaching first nursery school kids, then angry teenagers watching them became engaged as they slogged through marshes and tide pools .... we found a seal haul out and the rest was history.



Seals and whales have been my focus ever since. The whale blog tells the story of whales I met during my two summers as naturalist on a whale watch boat. My seal blog is still percolating as I try to pull together the much more complex story of 24 years of observations.



Individuality in kids, in whales, in seals, in cats in trees all grab my attention. I have known 50 or more seals and 10 or more whales over the years; each individual has a unique temperament and that uniqueness is what I want to talk about.



The seal study is ongoing.... the seals leave the ledge I observe in the winter but they will be back in April and I will be there too until they leave again in late August. The winter is time to write about them.





If you have questions or comments or would like more information you can contact me at baleenoptera@yahoo.com.